Wednesday, January 25, 2017

January 22, 2017 - Ruth and Naomi

TONY & MICHELLE PAWLAK

MEMORY VERSE
But seek first the kingdom of God and his
righteousness, and all these things will be

     added to you.
Matthew 6:33

When things are going badly, sometimes I wonder if God is still looking out for me.  I worry about things like, "what will I eat?" or, "what will I wear?"  The Bible tells us that God knows about all our needs and has a plan to provide for them.  Our job is to seek God and be as much like Jesus as we can.  Then God will make sure that we have everything we need.

Last week we talked about how Rahab, a woman from Jericho, helped Joshua's spies escape and ultimately helped the Israelites take Jericho.  Rahab later married an Israelite named Salmon and they had a son who became a wealthy land owner in the town of Bethlehem.  But we'll talk more about him later.

Right now we're going to talk about a relative of his, a man named Elimelek.  Elimelek lived in Bethlehem with his
family during the time before Israel had kings and they were ruled by Judges.  One year, a famine hit Israel and there wasn't enough food for everyone.  Elimelek decided that it would be best to move his family to the country of
Moab until the famine was over.

So Elimelek, his wife Naomi, and their two sons, Mahlon and Kilion, moved to Moab and were there for about ten years.  Both Mahlon and Kilion married Moabite women.  One was named Orpah and the other one was named Ruth.  But then tragedy
struck.  Elimelek, Mahlon, and Kilion, all died leaving the women without anyone to take care of them.  

Naomi and her two daughters-in-law, Ruth and Orpah, prepared to go back to Bethlehem.  As they went, Naomi told them to go back home. Both girls loved Naomi and refused to leave
her but Naomi insisted saying, "I have no other sons to marry you and I am too old to have children.  Go home and find new husbands and may God be as kind to you as you have been to me and my family."  

Finally, Orpah reluctantly returned home but Ruth threw
her arms around Naomi and refused to let her go saying, "I will go where you go, live where you live, your people will be my people, and your God will be my God."  Finally, Naomi agreed to let her come along and they headed back to Bethlehem, Judah in Israel.  When they arrived, everyone was so happy to see Naomi but Naomi was
not happy at all.  "Please don't call me Naomi." she said.  "Naomi means sweetness but I don't feel very sweet.  When I left I had my family but now I have nothing so I feel very bitter.  Call me "Mara" because that means bitter."  

So Ruth and Naomi (Mara) settled back in Elimelek's land but they had no money to pay workers.  Ruth decided that
she would have to go and glean in another farmer's field in order to get money.  (Gleaning is where the harvesters would leave the crops in the corners of the fields for the poor to eat.)  Ruth found a field to glean in and went to work.  It just so happens that the field belonged to the son of Rahab and Salmon, a man named Boaz.

Boaz was a kind man who treated his workers well and they were happy to see him when he came to the field that day. After he greeted them, he noticed a new woman gleaning in his field.  Curious, Boaz asked his head servant, "Who's woman is this?"  "This is Ruth, the daughter-in-law of your relative Naomi.  She came back from Moab with her and has been caring for Naomi ever since.  She's been here all day working very hard."


This pleased Boaz so he walked up to Ruth and told her, "I would like you to stay working only in my field until harvest time is over for the year.  I have told my workers to treat you well and you may even drink of their water."  Ruth was so
happy about his kindness that she had to ask, "Why are you being so kind to me?  I am not even from Israel!"

"I have heard what you have done for Naomi, leaving your home and family when you didn't have to, and moving here where you knew nothing and nobody.  May God bless you for what you have done."  Boaz said.

So Ruth stayed in Boaz's field and even ate with him and his
 servants.  Boaz even gave her special treatment so she would have plenty of food to take home.  In fact, when she got home, Naomi was amazed at how much barley she had gleaned. "Where on earth did you go today?  She asked Ruth.


"To the field of Boaz.  He was very kind to me saying that I could stay until the end of the harvest." Ruth answered.

"He is one of our close relatives.  If he wants to, he could be what we call a kinsman redeemer, someone who cares for the land and family of a relative who has died. Stay in his field as he said.  You will be safe there."  Naomi instructed.

So Ruth did everything that Naomi said.  As the year went on Naomi realized that Ruth would need someone to care for her.  So she called Ruth to her one day and said to
her,"Ruth, I think it's time that you think about getting married again and I believe Boaz is the man.  So listen and do as I say.  Tonight, go down to the threshing floor where the men separate the grain.  When Boaz is done working, he will sleep there to guard his grain against thieves.  Uncover his feet and lay down there.  This way he'll know that you want him to be your kinsman redeemer."  So, once again, Ruth did what Naomi said.

When Ruth laid down at his feet, Boaz awoke with a startle.
 "Who's there?" he asked. " "I am Ruth, your servant. Spread your wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer.” (Ruth 3:9b) She said.  "I will, if I can." Boaz said. "But there is another relative who is closer and first in line. If he won't redeem you, then I will.

The next day Boaz went into town to find his relative.  Boaz then took his relative before the city elders and said, "Naomi, our relative, is selling Elimelek's land.  I would like
to buy it but you are first in line. If you won't buy it then I will."  "I will buy it." The relative said.  

"Fine, but you would also have to marry Elimelek's daughter-in-law." 

"In that case, I'll let you buy it, Boaz." He said as he gave Boaz his sandal to seal the deal.

So Boaz stood up before the city elders and said, "You are witnesses this day that I have bought from the hand of Naomi all that belonged to Elimelek and all that belonged to Kilion and to Mahlon. Also Ruth the Moabite, the widow of Mahlon, I have bought to be my wife..." (Ruth  4:9-10a)

So Ruth and Boaz were married and had a son named Obed.

 Naomi was so happy that she became Obed's caregiver.
 Ruth had sought God and God had provided everything that Ruth would ever need.  So remember to seek first the kingdom of God.  He will take care of you.






No comments:

Post a Comment