Wednesday, January 4, 2017

December 18, 2016 - The Shepherds Christmas

 TONY & MICHELLE PAWLAK

MEMORY VERSE
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 
John 3:16

  
It's Christmas time again and who better to learn about Christmas from than someone who was there? That is why this week I decided to teach about Christmas from the perspective of one of the Shepherds. (Some creative license was taken.)  Enjoy.

Hello, my name is Tobias and I am a Shepherd just outside the city of Bethlehem.  Please excuse me while I sit down, my back is a bit sore.  Last night is was my turn to guard the sheep gate.  You see, we don't have gates on hinges like
you would imagine, we ARE the gate.  We sleep in the gate opening and that way, when a sheep tries to escape, they kick us, it hurts, we wake up, it's not fun but (shrug) it works.  The life of a shepherd is not an easy one. 

Well, I didn't get much sleep last night.  I was sound asleep when I was awakened by a light as bright as the noon day sun.  I shielded my eyes and shout, "Hey! Who turned on the
lights?"  Then I remembered it was two thousand years ago and there were no lights.  I looked up and there before me stood an angel! "Do not be afraid." he said and I'm glad he did because I was terrified.  It's not every day you see a glowing man walking around a sheep pasture.  In fact, most people don't like to be around us shepherds.  You see, when you spend days at a time with stinky sheep, you start to smell like stinky sheep.  That doesn't make us the most popular people is Israel.  

The angel went on to say,  "I bring you good news that will cause great joy to all people.  Today in the city of David (which everyone knows is Bethlehem) A savior has been
born who is Christ the Lord!"  We couldn't believe what we were hearing.  This angel of God has actually come to a bunch of stinky shepherds  to announce the birth of the Christ that we have been waiting for centuries to arrive?  And in the little town of Bethlehem no less!  This seemed to incredible to be believed.   As if the angel knew what we were thinking he went on to say, "This is how you will know what I am saying is true.  You will find the baby laying in a manger wrapped in  swaddling clothes."

"A MANGER?"  I thought.  An manger is nothing but a stone food trough for the stabled animals.  Certainly not the place for the newborn King of the Jews to lay down.  As I
was thinking these things, suddenly the field was lit up by what seemed like thousands of angels all shouting, " Glory to God int he highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests." 

Then, just as quickly as they appeared, the angels left and all was quiet and dark again.
 As our eyes adjusted to the darkness, we began to discuss what had just happened.  My fellow shepherd Moishe turned to me and said, "What should we do now?"  I said to him, :The angel said go to Bethlehem so we go to Bethlehem." "But what about the sheep?" he asked.  "Eh," I shrugged, "They'll be okay.  Let's go." So off we went to Bethlehem so see the baby the angels told us about.

Now today you may sing a song called "Silent Night."  This confuses me because there was nothing silent about it!  What is so silent about a bunch of stinky shepherds running through town in the middle of the night, knocking on doors, shouting about angels, and asking about a baby.  More than a few times we were to go back to our sheep.  Finally, we
came to a house who said that a young couple had arrived earlier but were sent to the stable because the place was full.  There had been a census declared and the town was overrun by people coming to register.  

"Did the girl have a baby?" I asked.  

"She was quite pregnant when she arrived and was in labor last I heard."  The man at the door told us.

So off to the stable we went as fast as we could.  When we got there, we found that every woman in the house must have come out to help the young mother give birth.  We went in to find the young mother resting next to a manger.  As we got close we saw that, sure enough, there was the
newborn baby swaddled tightly in the manger crying.  We immediately fell to our knees praising God and worshiping our new Messiah.  Then I looked up to see a very confused and obviously concerned mommy and daddy staring at us.

"I suppose you would like an explanation." I said.  They quietly nodded and I told them all about the angel's visit and what we had been told about this child.  To my surprise they took it very calmly.  Then I asked, "What is the name of the baby and the parents that God has entrusted him with?"  

"I am Yoseph and this is my betrothed, Miriam."  He said.  "We too have had angelic visits foretelling of this child.  They even told us what we should name him."

"And, please tell, what will his name be?"  I said.  Then Miriam looked up at me and smiled and said, "Yeshua."  

Have you never heard these names before?  Ah, I see.  You have heard this story but the names were in your own language.  You may recognize them as Joseph, Mary, and the baby Jesus.

Then we wished them all well and left.  That night we went all over the town telling whoever would listen about what had happened and what we had seen.  Those who believed us were amazed.  

Little did we know that in thirty three short years, this baby that we had seen would give his life to pay for the sins of the world.  What a wonderful gift God has given us of this child.  The next time you open a Christmas gift, remember the wonderful gift of Jesus Christ.

Well, it is time for Moishe and I to be getting back to our field.  You can only leave sheep alone for so long, you know.





No comments:

Post a Comment